Did you know that millions of cows and buffaloes suffer every day so that we can get our glass of milk? Will you allow this suffering to continue?
The Better Dairy Campaign
Cows and buffaloes deserve a better life. We can make it happen.
Read The India Dairy Report - The White Truth
Animals have a right to live free from pain and suffering. An estimated 50 million dairy animals suffer every day in India and a significant number of these suffer the worst cruelty as they live in unacceptable conditions in these urban and peri-urban dairies.
They are forced to live in unacceptable conditions; with untreated wounds, surrounded by faeces and urine, tied-up 24/7 with no room to move or roam.
But you can end their suffering. Watch what's inside your glass of milk.
Committed to ending cruelty
Companies producing and manufacturing dairy products can be at the forefront of this change and ensuring that millions of cows and buffaloes have a cruelty free life. We are working with dairy companies to ensure that they commit to World Animal Protection’s 5 dairy animal welfare minimum requirements throughout their supply chain. These minimum requirements are:
- Provide 24 hour access for all animals to clean water, and access to good quality feed
- Provide access to shade, shelter and comfortable bedding for all animals
- No permanent tethering and access to suitable outdoor area daily.
- Provide adequate colostrum and health care to all dairy animals, including pain relief for painful procedures
- Provide good handling and develop a plan to manage unwanted animals – no abandonment.
Following the efforts of World Animal Protection, nine dairy companies have committed to responsible sourcing and providing a better life to the dairy animals in their supply chain. They are:
(1) Arvind Dairy (2) Happy Milk (3) Ananda Dairy
(4) Vrindavan Dairy (5) The way We Were (6) Mukhi Dairy Farm
(7) Kisan Dairy Farm (8) Sahiwal Dairy Farm (9) Danone
Also, these companies have committed not to source from urban and peri- urban dairies.
Pledging their support
Apart from getting commitments from dairy companies, World Animal Protection is also working with retail chains where retail companies sign a pledge, giving their support and wishing for a better life for dairy animals. This, in turn, shows an urge from retailers to have milk from the dairy companies, who are providing minimum basic welfare to their dairy animals in the supply chain. The support of these retail companies and more like them helps us put pressure on dairy companies to make the welfare of the dairy animals their priority.
Four retail companies have signed the pledge with World Animal Protection. They are:
- Indian Coffee Workers’ Co-operative Society Ltd, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh - They have 39 restaurants and 10 lodges in Madhya Pradesh (26), Chattisgarh (11) and Bengaluru (2).
- Indian Coffee Workers’ Co-operative Society Ltd, Delhi - They have 8 outlets in Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Allahabad, and Jaipur
- Lansdowne Travel Trip Café – One outlet
- Mr. Brown – Outlets in Lucknow, Kanpur, and Delhi
Read our Business Case Study on Higher Dairy Welfare
A lot needs to be done
We need your continuous support to end the suffering of millions of dairy animals. Let us demand the end of cruelty towards dairy animals. Ask your dairy company to have an animal welfare policy and demand high welfare milk from them. Ask the Government to shift urban and peri-urban dairies outside the limits of our cities for the better treatment of dairy animals
Your demand will ensure a better life for cows and buffaloes in this country. Do your part!
Watch this video and find out WhatI's In Your Milk?